The Teign Heritage Centre holds a number of drawings of Morgan Giles designs and also photographs and publications. Most of these are available to purchase.

Learn More

The Morgan Giles Register

CATHERINE MARY (ex-FERN MARY)

56_1

Type/Class Sail > West Channel Class (2.5t & 5t+)

Designer: F. C. Morgan Giles

Builder: Morgan Giles Ltd

Year: 1949

Ship statusUnknown
Yard Number598
Original Sail NumberH4
Home PortUnknown at present
Known History

Fern Mary was first owned and named by Major A Waycott in 1949 who soon had built a second, larger yacht by Morgan Giles he named Fern Mary II.  The boat was purchased by Dr L P Marshall and renamed Catherine Mary after his wife.  Dr Marshall was a keen cricketer who played for Somerset.  His wife, a former nurse in WW 1, was in the first graduating year at the London Hospital School of Medicine that accepted women.  She was also a keen sailor.

The boat passed through several subsequent hands as shown above and its present wherabouts, if still in service, are unknown. It is possible that she was taken to Germany as the last recorded home port is Lubeck

ConstructionWood. Unknown material
LOA34ft
LWL28ft
Beam9ft
Draft 6ft
Displacement5.63 tons
Thames Tonnage11 Tons
OwnerUnknown at present
Previous Ownership

1949 Maj. A Waycott. First owner and named 'Fern Mary'

1951 Dr L P Marshall (renamed 'Catherine Mary')

1959 H K Enoch. Home Port Torquay

1962 Mrs Pauline Arundell. Home Port Brixham

1964 R D Harris. Home Port Mylor

1969 P B Sharp. Home Port Mylor

1973 Maj. Gen (later Lt. Gen.) Sir P J F Whiteley. Home Port Plymouth

1979 N J Bryant. Home Port Plymouth

1980 G Fechter. Home Port Poole/Lubeck

No further information available. The name 'Catherine Mary' was retained throughout all the above ownerships.